Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Three More Sentences

I may have only written one sentence, but already, I've begun editing it. An idea, based on the opening sentence I came up with yesterday, popped into my head this morning and I'm going with it until either the story is done or I think of a better story and start again. But I have a good feeling that I WILL finish this story. A whole bunch of ideas came flooding in after I had that minor epiphany, and it depressed me something fierce, so I scaled back my thinking to what I want out of this experiment of mine. That is, one sentence a day. I can always do more than one sentence, but if I feel myself beginning to get ahead of myself and lose myself in the rush of writing, I get up and walk away from the story. Also, there's this quote by.... fuck all, I can't remember who said it or even the exact words, but to paraphrase it, the quote inferred that the writer's best piece of advice was to stop writing for the day when you know what happens next in the story. That's what I'm trying to achieve here. That's my aim. That being said (or written), I wrote THREE sentences today. Almost wrote more than that, but I started to feel overwhelmed, so I stopped mid-sentence and deleted that half a sentence, and saved the three sentences I had down. Here's the newly edited opening, as well as the next three sentences:


He walked to the door not realizing he was about to die. He should have known, though. The door was locked. The janitor always unlocked the door in the morning for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment