Thursday, April 4, 2013

I Thought of an All-too-fitting Acronym for This Little Exercise of Mine

I had a bit of a boondoggle day with my Sentence a Day Writing. And then I hit a huge wall (metaphorically speaking) and yet again got a bit depressed.  So I went about my business of doing my actual job when a new idea popped into my head. A very, very, very silly idea. And it wasn't long after that that I got a good sense of the story and even some of the characters. And then more actual job work happened, and then I got to thinking about Brian Keene. I'm a regular visitor to his website, so I see the blog posts he does. Occasionally, he posts about the progress of a handful of novels, short stories, and comic book scripts he's currently working on. And that got me to thinking about Peter David, who likes to do comic book writing part of one day and novel writing the other part. And that got me thinking about my own writing. My buddy, Theo Sidle, told me about an idea he had and said he wanted me to write it with him. So there's that, my S.A.D. (heh, how about that for an acronym?) story, and this absurdly silly new story I thought of today. Maybe I could take a swing at writing all three at once. When I feel myself getting overwhelmed or when I just can't think of where to go next with one story, I'll move on to the next story. And then the next. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot with this idea, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I've kinda lost the drive to do the silly story right now since I'm watching a rather somber movie ("Cosmopolis". Don't bother) and it's totally killed my silly mood. Instead, I'll work on the story Theo and I are collaborating on, and get the ball back in his court, as it were.

So, my S.A.D. story will be the story that I post regularly-ish here, but the silly story and the collaboration will most likely remain offline. At least, for the time being. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, here's the S.A.D. story so far, now with 6 new sentences (even if one sentence is only a single word!):

He walked to the door not realizing he was about to die. He should have known, though. The door was locked. The janitor always unlocked the door in the morning for him.15 years and the janitor never forgot. What was going on? He tried the door knob again. Locked. He heard a scuffling sound and then a muffled bark of laughter and what sounded like a yelp of pain. Two kids, perhaps, groping each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment